Bain-marie with Chef Theo
How do you melt your chocolate? Do you know that chocolate is very heat sensitive & can get scorched/burn easily, affecting its quality & possibly texture, so should be melted over indirect heat. Here’s a break-down of the bain-marie method, double-boiler.. or, as chef Theo like to call it, the pain-marie! It’s pretty simple, but makes a big difference in your end result.
Here’s all that you need:
– a small pot
– a heat proof bowl (glass or stainless steel) that fits over the pot leaving enough space for water in there
- Place a bit of water in the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Lowe the heat down, place your chopped chocolate in the bowl, and place the bowl over the pot. You don’t want the bubbling water touching the bottom of the bowl. The steam rising from the water will warm up the bowl and melt the chocolate.
- Occasionally stir the chocolate with a spatula until fully melted.
- Remove from the heat and use straight away. Alternatively, you can keep the bowl of melted chocolate over the hot pot off the heat to keep the chocolate warm as you work with it.
Theo melted chocolate the other day to make his cute little chocolate wolf cake from one of his magazines, and we thought we’d show you. Remember chef Theo, it’s him! 🙈 I just love how passionate he is about presenting & how naturally it all comes to him.. I always wait eagerly to see how he takes the technical info tidbits I share with him, and shares it & explains it in his own special way. If you’d like to watch the steps above as demonstrated by him, scroll down!
View this post on Instagram